About the Heard Museum Shop
Since its founding by Dwight and Maie Heard in 1929, the Heard Museum, located in Phoenix, Arizona, has grown in size and stature to become recognized internationally for the quality of its collections, educational programming, festivals, and for the world-class Heard Museum Shops. Dedicated to the sensitive and accurate portrayal of Native arts and cultures, the Heard successfully combines the stories of American Indian people from a personal perspective with the beauty of art.
Through innovative programs, world-class exhibits and unmatched festivals, the Heard Museum sets the standard nationally for collaborating with Native people to present first-person voices. Partnerships with American Indian artists and tribal communities provide visitors with a distinctive perspective about the art and cultures of Native people, especially those from the Southwest.
The Heard Museum Shop continues this collaboration and partnership. The shop has grown from its humble beginnings in 1956 to become one of the nation’s finest purveyors of American Indian art. The majority of pieces in the extensive inventory are purchased directly from hundreds of artists. Only the finest in authentic American Indian jewelry, pottery, paintings, sculpture, Katsina dolls and weavings are selected for sale. Many books relating to American Indian cultures and the Southwest are also available, including hard-to-find selections and publications by American Indian authors.
Bruce McGee, Director of Retail Sales, has spent his entire life purchasing and selling American Indian art. Mr. McGee states, “The Heard Museum Shop guarantee all of our handmade products to be authentic. That is the promise of the Heard Museum.”